Prof. Harvey R. Brown (About)
World Science Database Profile
Interests: Quantum Mechanics, Relativity, Thermodynamics, Philosophy, Space, Time, Symmetry Age: 70
Harvey Brown studied physics at the University of Canterbury (New Zealand) and did his graduate studies in the Department of History and Philosophy of Science at Chelsea College (later merged with King's College) at the University of London. From 1978 to 1984 he taught in the Philosophy Department at the S?o Paulo State University at Campinas (UNICAMP) in Brazil. In 1984 he moved to the University of Oxford, where besides being a member of the Philosophy Faculty (and an "unofficial" member of the Physics Department), he is a Fellow of Wolfson College. - Oxford University
- 1971-1978, Ph.D., Department of History and Philosophy of Science, Chelsea College (now King's College KQC), University of London. Courses subject to examination: Mathematical logic, philosophy of science, history of philosophy, foundations of probability theory. Ph.D. thesis title: Problems of measurement in quantum theory (1978). Supervisors: J. Dorling, M.L.G. Redhead.
- 1968-1970, B.Sc. (Hons), Physics, first class honours. University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- 1963-1967,Secondary schooling, St. Bede's College, Christchurch, New Zealand.
- 1984- , University of Oxford: Reader in Philosophy (from July 1996), University Lecturer in Philosophy of Physics (from Oct. 1984). Fellow of Wolfson College, Oxford. Member of Faculty of Philosophy. Unofficial Member of Department of Physics (since 1987).
- 1978-1984, Assistant Professor in Department of Philosophy, S?o Paulo State University at Campinas (UNICAMP), Brazil. Member of Centro de L?gica, Epistemologia e Hist?ria da Ci?ncia, UNICAMP.
- Leverhulme Trust Institute Award (Jan. 1990 - Dec. 1992) for research in foundations of quantum physics (Research collaborator Dr. P. Kaloyerou).
- Radcliffe Research Fellowship in Philosophy, academic year 1995/6.
- Visiting Erskine Fellowship in Physics and Philosophy, University of Canterbury, NZ, July-August 1996.
- Special Lectureship, Oxford University, for the academic year 1996-7.
- British Academy/Leverhulme Trust Senior Research Fellowship, for the academic year 1999-2000.
- Arts and Humanities Research Board (AHRB) Study Leave, Trinity Term, 2004.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND CONSULATANCIES
- Departmental Assessor, Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method, London School of Economics 2001-.
- Member of Program Committee, Philosophy of Science Association Meeting 2002.