Dr. Gerald Pollack About
World Science Database Profile
Professor of Bioengineering
Interests: Water, Structure, Crystals
1961 Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn (Now NYU) B.S.E.E., Electrical Eng.
1968 University of Pennsylvania Ph.D., Biomedical Eng.
1968-73 Assistant Professor, Dept. Anesthesiology and Div. Bioengineering, University of Washington, Seattle
1973-77 Associate Professor, Anesthesiology & Bioengineering
1977-81 Professor, Anesthesiology & Bioengineering
1981- Professor of Bioengineering
Honors and Awards:
- Tau Beta Pi Kulka Award, 1961; Eta Kappa Nu Kulka Award, 1961
- Polytechnic Institute Merit Key; Engineering Honor Societies (Eta Kappa Nu, Tau Beta Pi)
- Established Investigatorship, American Heart Association, 1974-79
- Who's Who in America; American Men and Women in Science; Who's Who in the World
- Board of Directors, Bioengineering Society, 1977-79; Cardiovascular-Pulmonary Study Section, March, 1979, 1980
- Editorial Boards: J. Mol. & Cell Cardiol., 1975-80, Am. J. Physiol. (Heart and Circ Physiol), 1975-80; Circ. Research, 1982-1989; and Cell Biology International, 2005- ; Molecular and Cellular Biomechanics, 2007-
- Honorary member, Romanian Muscle Society, 1992
- Excellence Award, Society for Technical Communication, 1992 (for book, Muscles & Molecules)
- Founding Fellow, American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering, 1993
- Consultant, Whitaker Foundation, 1996-2006
- JSEM Scientific Paper Award, 1998
- Fellow, American Heart Association, 2001
- Inaugural Fellow, Council on Basic Cardiovascular Sciences, AHA, 2001
- Invited Scholar, Institut des Hautes Etudes Scientifiques, Paris, 2002
- Distinguished Lecturer Award, Biomedical Engineering Society, 2002
- International Scientist of the Year (IBC), 2002
- Honorary Doctorate, Ural State Unversity, Ekaterinburg Russia, 2002
- Distinguished Award, Society for Technical Communication (for book, Cells, Gels and the Engines of Life) , 2003
- Merit Award, International STC competition for book, above, 2003.
- Chair (joint, founding), Gordon Research Conference on ?Interfacial Water in Cell Biology? 2004.
- Honorary Professor, Russian Academy of Sciences, 2005
- Fellow, Biomedical Engineering Society, 2005
- National Science Board Task Force for Transformative Research, Advisor, 2005-2006
- Inaugural Chair, Annual Conference on the Physics, Chemistry, and Biology of Water, 2006; Chair, 2007, 2009
- University of Washington Annual Lectureship Award (selected among all University faculty) 2008.
- Founding Editor-in-Chief, WATER :A Multidisciplinary Research Journal
- NIH Transformative R01 Award, 2009.