Professor of Physics
Interests: Quantum Optics, Quantum Theory
- Northwestern University, China Physics B.S. 1981
- University of Maryland, College Park Physics Ph.D. 1987
Appointment in Higher Education:
- 1998- University of Maryland, Baltimore County, Professor of Physics.
- 1994-1998: University of Maryland, Baltimore County, Associate Professor of Physics.
- 1989-1994: University of Maryland, Baltimore County, Assistant Professor of Physics.
- 1987-1989: University of Maryland, College Park, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Physics.
Summary of Professional Activities:
Yanhua Shih started the Quantum Optics Laboratory at the University of Maryland in the fall of 1989. His group has been recognized as one of the leading groups in the research field of quantum optics that attempts to probe the fundamental problems of quantum theory. His pioneering research on multi-photon entanglement has attracted national and international attention. Y. H. Shih received the 2002 Willis E. Lamb Medal, for his pioneering contributions to quantum electronics and especially the study of spatial coherence effects of multiphoton entangled states. Y. H. Shih was the principal organizer for the following professional conferences: ?Fundamental Problems in Quantum Theory?, held in 1999, 1997 and 1994, respectively, at UMBC; ?Quantum Interferometry II?, held in 1996, at the International Center for Theoretical Physics, Triest, Italy; ?Third International Conference on Squeezed State and Uncertainty Relations?, held in 1993, at UMBC. In recent years, he has published more then 100 papers in leading refereed journals and given more then 100 invited presentations in national and international professional conferences and workshops.
Five Relevant Publications:
- ?An Introduction to Quantum Optics - Photon and Biphoton Physics?, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis, (2011) (Y.H. Shih)
- ?Quantum Teleportation with Complete Bell State Measurement, Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 86, 1370 (2001) (Y.H. Kim, S.P. Kulik, and Y.H. Shih).
- ?Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser, Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, 1 (2000) (Y.H. Kim, R. Yu, S.P. Kulic, Y.H. Shih, and M.O. Scully).
- ?Experimental Demonstration of Popper's Experiment: Violation of the Uncertainty Principle?? Foundations of Physics, Vol. 29, 1849 (1999) (Y.H. Kim and Y.H. Shih).
- ?Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen-BohmExperiment Using Pairs of Light Quanta Produced by Type II Parametric Down Conversion?, Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 71, 3893 (1993) (T.E. Kiess, Y.H. Shih, A.V. Sergienko, and C.O. Alley).