Date: 2010-01-29 Time: 17:30 - 19:30 US/Pacific (9 years 1 month ago)
America/Los Angeles: 2010-01-29 17:30 (DST)
America/New York: 2010-01-29 20:30 (DST)
America/Sao Paulo: 2010-01-29 21:30
Europe/London: 2010-01-30 00:30
Asia/Colombo: 2010-01-30 06:00
Australia/Sydney: 2010-01-30 11:30 (DST)
Where: Online Video Conference
This video conference used DimDim, now a private company.
The meeting can be replayed by clicking this link:
watch the meeting recording
The Structures group aims to create and discover concrete and mathematical tools for visualizing 3D flowing geometries, with the ultimate goals of modelling elementary particles and uncovering common structural patterns at all physical levels.
- As group leader I need to state my position as both having ideas I wish shared and developed while at the same time inviting others to do the same with the hope that as we get into the subject a consensus will form as we learn from one another.
- The most important point is that this is a meeting place where views are shared. Everyone should be advised that their ideas will be discussed and criticized. While an environment of respect and civility will be expected, this will be hard work and may be emotionally demanding. If figuring out how the universe is structured were easy, it would have been done long ago. These times differ from all of history in that we now have a way, afforded us by the internet, to work together in a virtual world-wide meeting on a regular bases. This opportunity is new and we intend to take full advantage of this unique opportunity.
- Set the context for the group; why are we forming a group?
- NPA is setting up special interest groups such as this one for those wishing to concentrate on a particular subject.
- Many lines of thought trying to form a consensus is hard work
- And yet Nature does have a unity, a unity we wish to know
- What are we trying to achieve?
- Nature has structure at the macro level, so we are we not safe in assuming it has structure at the micro and maxro levels as well. If so are we not safe in assuming structure is a continuum thereby making micro and maxro levels of structure also knowable in theory?
- Discuss how meetings will be handled
- Who is moderator and how will the moderator facilitate the meeting.
- Appointing a secretary � rotating or permanent?
- How will the moderator recognize the speaker?
- Will we chart the developing consensus and if so, how will we do that?
- How will we record consensus? Can we have a work page open to all whereby we can post postulates, axioms and hypothesis and track who is agreeing to what?
- How much time given to each speaker? Will there be time limits or will it be up to the moderator to direct interaction?
- Time for discussion
- How to handle unruly, offensive or rude behavior
- Does the moderator make the call or is it done by group decision by those present at that particular meeting?
- Will our deliberations be open to all or only to group members?
- Will there be fees for participation?
- Are there limits to the number that can attend a meeting?
- Other procedural issues�
- The need to define what we mean by the structural approach. What common interests are bringing us together? State and chart those shared interests.
- How does what we are doing differ from what has already been done?
- Develop a list and times of speakers.
- Develop a place where we can post information and lines of thought for all to see.
- We need a place to post conclusions AND the developing cosmology of the paradigm.
- A membership list with contact information.
- A way to have smaller meetings amongst people interested in working on special issue within the general interests of the Structures Group.